Sunday, August 24, 2008

My Blog's Namesake

While responding to forsythia's comment on the last post, I got to thinking about Kabir, the 15th century mystic poet from India. It amazes me that his verses have traveled through centuries, and over oceans to reach my eyes and tickle my spirit. I found the name for my blog in one of his poems. I'm going to reproduce the full poem here, for anyone who may want to read it:

Are you looking for me? I am in the next seat.
My shoulder is against yours.
you will not find me in the stupas, not in Indian shrine
rooms, nor in synagogues, nor in cathedrals:
not in masses, nor kirtans, not in legs winding
around your own neck, nor in eating nothing but vegetables.
When you really look for me, you will see me instantly —
you will find me in the tiniest house of time.
Kabir says: Student, tell me, what is God?
He is the breath inside the breath.

From: The Kabir Book: Forty-Four of the Ecstatic Poems of Kabir
by Robert W. Bly (Translator)

2 comments:

Lena August 24, 2008 at 5:26 PM  

I also wondered how your blog got its name, so I am glad you shared the poem with us. It is a great poem.

I wasn't familiar with Kabir, so thanks for the Wiki link, too.

Take care!!
Lena

Mike August 29, 2008 at 11:59 AM  

Hi Lena,

I really like the poem too. I was introduced to it through a book called "The Enlightened Heart." It is a collection of spiritual poems by different poets, and there are some real gems in there. I think you might like it.

Flagcounter

free counters
Don’t worry, spiders,
I keep house
casually.

~Issa

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP