Friday, March 28, 2008

Walk Towards Recovery

I took a walk yesterday on a trail that goes around a nearby pond. It was still mostly frozen over, with snow covering the ice. The wide open areas of snow in these photos are where the frozen pond is.




It felt good to get out and take a walk. The temperature was up into the mid-fifties, making it feel a little like spring, even if it still doesn't look like it.

Taking walks is part of my plan to get out of the house and do more. I met with my councilor, Jeannine, last week, and she encouraged me to exercise at least twice a week to start.

She also suggested that I keep track of my food intake throughout the day, so I started writing in my journal exactly what I'm eating, and what I'm thinking and doing right before I eat. Hopefully some patterns will show up.

Jeannine also discussed with me the importance of getting out and meeting like-minded people, perhaps by attending some spiritual or meditation groups. I read a lot of spiritual writing, but it isn't quite the same as being part of a spiritual community. So I think I may check out a group that meets once a month and discusses spiritual topics, not too far from where I live. It is open to anyone, and from what I can tell from their website, I would find the discussions interesting and insightful.

I also met with my psychiatrist, Dr. L, last week. We decided to raise my Abilify medication to 15mg, up from 10. We're doing this to see if it helps with my motivation difficulties and ability to get out and do more. I'm glad that we are making the adjustment. Dr. L. is always willing to reevaluate the meds and change things until she feels it is the best dose and drug for my current situation. It could take a while before I notice much difference.... until then, I'll keep walking, and do the best that I can.

5 comments:

Moohaa March 28, 2008 at 4:11 PM  

I'm glad your getting out there! Those pics are gorgeous, but sooo cold looking. Dress warmly!
I hope you find the group interesting and welcoming, it is wonderful being with like minded people and learning together. It really does bring about growth.

Take it easy Mike!

Handsome B. Wonderful March 28, 2008 at 8:01 PM  

Sounds like you had a lovely walk and those pictures are fabulous. I love artistic placement of the tree in them.

I'd love to go on walks alone but I'm not there yet because of the paranoia. I can go and do enjoy walks when I have others to walk with.

Too bad we don't live closer and could take walks together. :)

mosiacmind March 28, 2008 at 9:22 PM  

Thanks for sharing the pictures. It is great that you got out some. I tend to get really nervous if I walk alone or even at times if Gracie is with me. I think from what you shared that you would enjoy the group that you mentioned. I need to get out and do more with people. I find my days now that I am not looking for work lots of time on the computer and lots of time watching t.v. neither which are bad things just I think that I am doing it too much. Thanks again for sharing the pictures.

Lena March 29, 2008 at 10:04 AM  

Beautiful pictures. Good for you for getting out walking. I need to do so as well. Nothing like being out in nature.

The group sounds like a good idea. It is always so refreshing to get with like minded people.

How you started to read The New Earth yet? Just curious.

Have a great weekend!
Lena

Mike March 29, 2008 at 9:38 PM  

Thanks, Kelly, glad you liked the pictures. I’m looking forward to the group, I think it will be good for me. btw, I think your profile picture with Roger is adorable.

James, thank you for the compliment on the photos. If only we lived closer- it would be great to take walks together!

Mosiacmind, I hear you, I feel I need to do more with people too. Unfortunately, it is people who make me nervous! LOL. I think it is all about balance, and I’m trying to inject a bit more “outside the house” time into the mix.

Thanks, Lena. It felt really good to go for a walk. I started reading The New Earth, but I haven’t gotten too far yet. I think I will get a lot out of it, though. My mother just finished reading it, and she said much of it really resonated with her.

Flagcounter

free counters
Don’t worry, spiders,
I keep house
casually.

~Issa

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP