Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Greener Pastures Lure Away Another Good Therapist

I saw Jeannine, my case manager/therapist yesterday. She informed me that she is leaving the Mental Health Center where I see her.

I'm disappointed to lose Jeannine. I think we were just getting to the point where she knew how to productively encourage me to branch out and grow more. It's always a little hard switching therapists, because you're not sure how well you will click with the new one, and of course you have to start from scratch, telling your life story and trying to get him or her up to speed. Jeannine was apologetic, and said that she knows that it is not good therapeutically for one patient to be bounced around from therapist to therapist.

I've been lucky to have two good therapists since I've been going to the Mental Health Center, but unfortunately they both ended up leaving about a year after I started seeing them. A year may seem like a long time, but in my experience in therapy, it really isn't.

I'm hopeful that my new one will be just as good--who knows, she or he may be even better for me, once we get settled in together.

6 comments:

Lena April 15, 2008 at 8:22 PM  

Hi Mike,

I can imagine how difficult it must be starting all over with a new therapist. I agree with you that a year isn't a long time when it comes to seeing someone.

You seem to have a good attitude about it all, as you never do know, it could be someone who you will like even more.

Seems like you are good about going with the flow, so much luck to you.

Lena

Moohaa April 15, 2008 at 10:32 PM  

I can't imagine having to switch like that. I have an issue with trust, so it seems like it would be hard to trust someone new. I sure hope you find a keeper who wants to stick around. Take care of you!

Mike April 17, 2008 at 12:41 PM  

Thanks Lena. I am trying to have a good attitude about the whole thing, but I feel frustrated at the same time. I’m sad for what I’m losing, but hopeful for what I may find.

Kelly, thanks. It is difficult switching, because it does take a while to build trust and a relationship that will be helpful.

Handsome B. Wonderful April 17, 2008 at 12:53 PM  

I hate having to give the "recap" as Larry David calls it on, "Curb Your Enthusiasm."

I've been through more therapists and pdoc's than I can to count. Ugh.

I hope you find another good one. :)

I'd be devastated if I lost mine.

mosiacmind April 21, 2008 at 5:34 PM  

I will be praying for you that the next therapist and you get to working really quickly. It is hard when a therapist leaves....Will has been gone about a year now and even though I like Nan and she is a good therapist there are times that I really miss Will. I also want to remind you that when you do get a new therapist if it is not working remember you can ask to see someone else right? Please take really really good care of yourself during all of this.

Mike May 2, 2008 at 3:31 PM  

James, yeah, the “recap” is annoying. L.D. is hilarious. I hate the “stop and chat” too. LOL. Thanks, I have my fingers crossed that the new one will be good.

Mosiacmind, thanks so much for the prayers. Having a therapist is like being in a relationship—even when you find a new one, you can still miss qualities of an old one. I’m hopeful that they will hire another good therapist, because they have a good record of attracting good, competent councilors where I go.

Flagcounter

free counters
Don’t worry, spiders,
I keep house
casually.

~Issa

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP