Wednesday, November 21, 2007

My Secret: A Serious Snacking Problem

"See you later," I say as my mother closes the door. She's off to run some errands, and I have the house to myself. As soon as her car pulls out of the driveway, I take up my position in front of the food closet, scan the contents, and decide where to start.

I rustle through the various packages and boxes, eating with impetuous desire. I eat and eat and eat, while being sure not to consume too much of any one item, so my habit will go unnoticed by my family.

This has been going on for months. I've gained 40 pounds because of it. I euphemistically call it my "serious snacking problem." If I'm honest with myself, I have to admit that I have the tendencies of a compulsive overeater.

I do have hope that the problem could spontaneously resolve itself. I developed a similar eating pattern in college, and after some time I was able to leave it behind me, without much conscious effort: senior year I stopped overeating when I had a really busy schedule. Perhaps a major shift in my schedule could have the same effect.

Regardless, I'm rather ashamed of the whole thing. It's something that I want to brush under the carpet and pretend doesn't exist. However, it is a part of my emotional and mental life that I battle with every day. Perhaps writing about it from time to time will help me confront it and get serious about overcoming the habit.

1 comments:

Andrew November 22, 2007 at 10:33 AM  

I went from eating too much to not eating enough. I have to make myself eat during the day and usually eat a big meal before bedtime. My biggest vice is drinking sodas as I smoke and write on this computer. I drink twelve sodas a day, and I know it has got to be terrible for me. Hope you all get some more good snow. Really enjoying the blog Mike. Glad you commented on mine and I found you.

Your friend in similar circumstances,

Jonathon Andrew

Flagcounter

free counters
Don’t worry, spiders,
I keep house
casually.

~Issa

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP