Saturday, January 5, 2008

Alternatives

As I smoked my first cigarette of the morning, I realized how negative I felt. I did not accomplish much yesterday, and the resulting feelings of discouragement had carried over into today. I felt stuck.

Be positive, I said to myself. It is all in the mind. After taking an inventory of things that I am grateful for, I asked myself: What can I do to make today a positive experience?

I was able to come up with a few options:

  • Watch The Secret. Many of you are probably familiar with this documentary-style video. It is based on the "Law of Attraction," which asserts that whatever one thinks and feels will be attracted to them. Although I may not completely agree with it, I see it as an affirmation of the power of the mind and it encourages me to stay positive.
  • Do some creative writing.
  • Complete a couple tasks on the to-do list.
  • Meditate.
  • Read spiritual literature.

After brainstorming these ideas, my attitude had improved. If I follow through with some of these choices, today should be a good day. I just have to remember that there are always alternatives to wallowing in negativity.

7 comments:

Moohaa January 5, 2008 at 5:42 PM  

I don't agree with the Secret, but I know that thinking positively can bring a positive attitude. I also know that getting things done helps bring peace and relaxation.

Let me know what you think of the Secret after you watch it.

Take care!

Handsome B. Wonderful January 5, 2008 at 6:11 PM  

I meditate a lot (not every day) and it really helps me come back down and re-connect with things. It has been like another medicine to help me. There is something really healing about just breathing and just being.

Thanks for the compliment on my writing!! That means a lot to me. :)

mosiacmind January 5, 2008 at 7:06 PM  

I find for myself that when I nurture and take care of my spiritual self the days go so so so much better...for me that is praying not only to speak yet to hear too from God. I also need to for me read more of the Bible on a daily basis. I also find it helps for me to meditate also. I also know for me it helps me out so so much when I make lists of things to do or when I shop and such. Hope that the rest of your weekend is good.

fsj January 6, 2008 at 6:54 AM  

hye mike. do u still remember me,
i'd choose writing because i like sharing everyhing i've done in my everyday life :)

mike, i have created a new blog and i hopw i'll constantly write in english, feel free to review and comment, ok. this is my URL
http://mineinsideout.blogspot.com

ok, take care! :)

Mike January 6, 2008 at 1:42 PM  

Kelly Jene, I have mixed feelings about The Secret. To me it is helpful to visualize the future I want, and to think and feel positively about it. But I’m not sure that doing so will cause the universe to manifest the things I desire. Also, there are religious traditions that I respect that teach the law of karmic cause and effect… how would this mesh with the law of attraction? I also wonder about fate and the will of God. Not to mention, the whole Secret is based heavily on material gain as a route to happiness, which I don’t really agree with …soooo… As you can see, the whole issue is rather complicated for me. I’m interested in hearing more of what you think, if you don't mind sharing.

James, I too find meditation helpful… good medicine, no side effects!

Mosiacmind, I always feel better when I attend to my spiritual self as well.

Hi Khazinatulasrar, good to hear from you. Thanks for the link to your new blog, I’ll come check it out.

Polar Bear January 6, 2008 at 8:56 PM  

Mike,
I'm glad that you are able to find things that help you cope when things seem rather bleak.

I think there are things that we can all come up with that can help us when our illness takes over. Being able to take that first step in being pro active is so important and not something that everyone is able to do for themselves. It's great that you are able to take that first step.

Mike January 7, 2008 at 1:13 AM  

Polar bear, thanks for stopping by. I agree it is important to take that pivotal step and seek out a method for coping. It is something that I'm still learning to do.

Flagcounter

free counters
Don’t worry, spiders,
I keep house
casually.

~Issa

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP