Wednesday, January 16, 2008

A Book-Filled Day

This afternoon I went out to the mailbox to retrieve the mail. Although I had just placed a book order Sunday night, I was hoping that it would have arrived already. I peered in the mailbox, and there it was, a brown envelope addressed to me. I grabbed it, along with the other mail, and scurried back inside the warm house.

Now, getting mail is always cool, and new books always excite me... but put the two together, and it puts a big grin on my face. I love receiving books in the mail. I cut the envelope open, reached inside, and took out my new book on self-hypnosis.

Not long after, I took a ride with David to Barnes and Noble, so he could pick up a cookbook to give to his girlfriend for her birthday (along with a couple other books he has already purchased).

As we looked through cookbooks, I thought back to my experiences with cooking. I made my best dishes when I lived with my then girlfriend Robyn. We were both cooking novices, and I was so excited to learn how to combine different ingredients with various spices. We worked as a team, preparing the food and cooking it, and learning as we went along. We made some delicious dishes, and always enjoyed the process.

When later on I was living alone, I resorted to fast food and taco shops. It just wasn't the same cooking alone, without Robyn.

After some time, David chose a book. He actually ended up buying the first book we looked at, after considering a few others. It was a "quick and healthy" cookbook, with info boxes giving tips on cooking with specific foods. I think it was a good choice for his girlfriend, who will soon be setting out on her own.

When we returned home, supper was almost ready. It wasn't until after dinner that I was able to start reading my new book. I have only had the chance to read the first couple chapters, but it looks like it will be what I was looking for. To derive the maximum benefit from the book, the author explicitly instructs the reader to read the book in order. Of course I want to skip ahead and flip through it haphazardly, but I'll be a good little self-hypnotist-in-training and do as he says! I'm looking forward to reading more.

7 comments:

Anonymous January 17, 2008 at 3:09 AM  

I think everyone loves to get mail, Mike, but you're right - books in the mail are twice the fun! I haven't bought any books for a while now as I'm trying to limit distractions. However, I just get my reading fix over the net instead, so that hasn't worked out too well!

mosiacmind January 17, 2008 at 11:26 AM  

I soooooooo enjoy reading and going shopping at Borders and even to the library I hope that you enjoy reading your new book

Moohaa January 17, 2008 at 4:00 PM  

I am horrible at reading books like that in order. I so want to skip to the "good" parts.

Enjoy and I hope you get something good out of it!

Have you thought about getting back into cooking?

Handsome B. Wonderful January 17, 2008 at 5:05 PM  

I'm a major book worm and I too adore getting a new one in the mail. I love getting packages in general (unless the tick). I love seeing that brown color and see the UPS guy showing up at the door. Even though I panic for a moment that he's going to break in and abduct me or something.

I order books online mostly because I don't like going out much but I do enjoy a foray to the local B&N.

But a big reason that I order books online because of that I DO like getting packages so much. It's the little things in life that make livin' so sweet!!

Enjoy the new reading!!!

Moohaa January 17, 2008 at 8:17 PM  

Hey Mike, I got a package with books in it today and I got to share in your joy! I thought of you as I tore into the box and went through my new books.

Enjoy your reading!

Lena January 17, 2008 at 10:21 PM  

Love getting books in the mail, too! Love getting mail... but the days of personal letters seem to be long gone.

Happy Reading!

Mike January 17, 2008 at 11:17 PM  

Amy, it’s so easy to get distracted and drawn into reading on the net. There is just so much out there. Especially since I started reading blogs- there is always something new and interesting to read.

Mosiacmind, I love reading too… I enjoy just wandering around bookstores or the library to see what I find.

Kelly, I’m the same way- I like to flip forward to the really interesting parts, and then go back and read the whole thing. But with this book I’m forcing myself to read straight through without jumping ahead, and it is a challenge to do!

Since I live at home right now, I am lucky to have my Mom’s delicious cooking, and don't really do much myself. It would be nice if I cooked a meal sometimes, though. I should make more of an effort to do that.

I’m happy you got a package too! Enjoy!

James, I hear ya, little things like getting a book in the mail can really brighten my day.

Lena, it does seem that letter writing has died out, and email has taken its place. I have a friend that makes it a habit to send people post cards on occasion, even when she isn't on a trip. It is nice to receive them. If you'd like, check out AmyPalko's blog (first commenter, just click on her name)- she just wrote a post about the lost art of letter writing.

Flagcounter

free counters
Don’t worry, spiders,
I keep house
casually.

~Issa

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP