Thursday, January 24, 2008

Dropping and Forming Beliefs

I've been hanging out at Steve Pavlina's Personal Development website a lot lately. Steve's blog is wildly popular, and for good reason. He writes about personal development in a very interesting way.

I've been focusing on his writing on empowering beliefs. He views beliefs as a lens through which we see the world. Some beliefs are empowering and help us move toward our goals, some are not. He asserts that if a belief does not serve you, you should drop it and install a new belief to replace it. The more accurate and effective the belief, the more empowering it will be. Steve gives eight guidelines to choosing effective beliefs.

This led me to examine my own beliefs. Which of my beliefs are holding me back? Being as honest as possible with myself, I wrote a list of limiting beliefs. Here are a few I came up with:


I often believe that I should do things perfectly.

I believe that the game of life (working, socializing, etc.) is a struggle.

I believe social interaction (especially with people I don't know too well) is difficult and uncomfortable.

You can probably see how these beliefs would affect my actions. I am hesitant to do many things, because I'm afraid of making mistakes, and I expect them to be a struggle.

I gave it some thought and came up with counter-beliefs:

I believe nobody is perfect, and there is no such thing as perfection.

I believe that the game of life is often pleasurable.

I believe that it is usually enjoyable to engage in social interaction.

If I adopted these new views my assumptions would be completely different going into certain situations, and as a result I'm sure the outcomes would change as well.

I picked up many beliefs during childhood, and through my life experiences. Many of them have never been examined. Why be stuck with default beliefs when I could choose the ones that are most empowering for me? I think this is a wonderful concept.

LOL... it seems like every other day I latch onto some new personal development idea. I get excited thinking about different ways to better myself... actually integrating them into my life is the challenge.

6 comments:

Anonymous January 25, 2008 at 3:37 AM  

I like Steve's blog too, but I can't wait till this 30 day raw food thing is over, and we can return to posts about something more interesting. I believe in balance in all things, and this radical change in diet embodies an extremist way of thinking that I just do not agree with. But each to their own, I suppose. Until the 30 days are over, I'll just need to keep plundering the archives :-)

Lena January 25, 2008 at 4:57 PM  

A quote I heard from a speaker in Grad school and it made me think:
"Don't believe your beliefs."

I think it is so cool that you are into personal developement at this age in your life.

Change the way we think and we can change our lives.

I will check out the website. Thank!

Lena January 25, 2008 at 4:57 PM  

A quote I heard from a speaker in Grad school and it made me think:
"Don't believe your beliefs."

I think it is so cool that you are into personal developement at this age in your life.

Change the way we think and we can change our lives.

I will check out the website. Thank!

Mike January 26, 2008 at 10:45 PM  

Amy,
I am looking forward to the end of his raw food experiment too… from reading his posts it sounds like so is he.

I have to thank you for introducing him to me… I first found him through the New Years resolution links you had on your blog. I’ve gotten a lot out of reading through his archives.


Lena,
In a way I feel fortunate for the setbacks I’ve had to deal with... being knocked on my ass gave me the opportunity to reflect and realize I needed to make changes, and led me to think about personal and spiritual development.

It has been such a challenge to actually change the way I think, but I’m trying to develop the tools and methods to do so, which will hopefully lead to changes in my life.

Anonymous January 29, 2008 at 3:18 AM  

I really enjoyed reading your new counter beliefs. I have been taking them to heart as I go through my own daily life; simply putting yourself out there to meet people is always awkward, but I feel more encouraged now when I think on it. Thanks so much.

Mike January 29, 2008 at 6:35 PM  

Rhetoran,
You're very welcome. Thanks for the encouraging comment. I am so happy that my words have had a positive effect on you. Please visit again :)

Flagcounter

free counters
Don’t worry, spiders,
I keep house
casually.

~Issa

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP