Monday, January 14, 2008

A New Idea for Growth

Every couple of months I latch onto some idea for personal or spiritual growth, and search for information on the topic. I scour the internet, I pick up a couple books, and I read, read, read. I admit that there are problems with this approach, but regardless, it is my attempt to better myself.

My latest interest is self-hypnosis. I've been reading about it online, and its proponents say that hypnosis allows you to affect your subconscious mind in a way that can eliminate bad habits and undesirable ways of thinking or feeling. What if I was able to stop overeating? Be more confident? Be more relaxed in social situations?

Apparently real hypnosis has little to do with making people do silly things. It is not supernatural. It is simply a trance state that one actually slips into naturally throughout the day- for example, when you are driving on the highway and zone out and miss an exit, when you daydream, and when you are engrossed in a good novel. In this state of increased concentration, the subconscious becomes more open to suggestion.

It seems like a powerful tool for self-improvement. I don't think it will solve all my problems, but at the very least it sounds like an effective method for deep relaxation. So I will investigate further. Maybe it will not pan out, I’ll become bored or disillusioned, and my latest plan will fall by the wayside. Or maybe it will have a profound impact on my life. Usually this type of thing falls in the middle, and has an effect on me, but is not as far-reaching as expected. I shall see...

8 comments:

Lena January 14, 2008 at 9:05 AM  

Very interesting.

I was reading about hypnosis for pain management and have toyed with going.

I never thought about self-hypnosis. I will be curious to hear more about it.

I sure do know all about getting bored with something that held a great deal of interest and excitement at first.

But if we don't try new things, how will we find the things that stick?

Your posts are always so interesting. Have a great day!
Lena

Mike January 14, 2008 at 3:08 PM  

Lena,
At first I was thinking of going to a hypnotist, but it can be pretty expensive. I figure I'll try a book or two on self-hypnosis and see how I do with the methods that I learn.

Thanks, I'm glad you find my posts interesting :) Hope you have a great day too!

Moohaa January 15, 2008 at 2:39 AM  

You sound like me. I tend to go on learning tangents too.

I learned about hypnosis a few years ago and its so weird, isn't it? Now, whenever I space off during driving and still end up at home, I know I've been slightly hypnotized.

Keep us updated, sounds interesting.

Mike January 15, 2008 at 2:19 PM  

Kelly, I'm always finding something new to read and learn about. I'll keep you all updated. I'm hoping to get something positive out of it.

Anonymous January 15, 2008 at 5:33 PM  

I so enjoy personal development books, Mike. Often when I'm supposed to be studying some complex piece of literary theory, I'll actually be completely engrossed in Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway, Wishcraft, The Artist's Way, or Write It Down Make It Happen. But, shh - it's our secret OK, because I can't imagine that my professors would be terribly impressed if they found out! Seriously though, I think it's so important that we continue to engage with bettering ourselves, and reading this kind of genre is one active way in which we can do this. I personally haven't tried self-hypnosis, but I'm fascinated to read how you get on with it. Do let us know!

Mike January 16, 2008 at 6:37 PM  

Don’t worry, Amy, I won’t tell :)
I really enjoy reading that type of book, and I agree, it is a good way to nurture that part of us that wants to expand and grow. I just received a book from Amazon on self-hypnosis, so I’m excited to sit down and learn more about it.

I went to check out The Artist’s Way on Amazon, and as I read about it I remembered that you mentioned, in a post a little while ago, that you were writing three pages every day. It sounds like a good method. Are you still doing that?

Anonymous January 17, 2008 at 3:05 AM  

Yes, I'm still persisting with the morning pages, despite really not being a morning person! I do actually get a huge amount out of doing them, though. It gives me clarity about my thoughts and actions, and gives me a chance to work through why I feel what I do about things. I also think that it's made me more creative (which is what it's supposed to do!), as it's almost as if you can purge yourself from all the baggage that you carry around, leaving you free to create something new. If you decide to give it a go, let me know, and I do really recommend reading The Artist's Way, btw. Great book!

Mike January 17, 2008 at 11:30 PM  

Amy, thanks for giving me your take on it. I’m not a morning person either, but it sounds like a good way to start the day. I’ve done spurts of stream-of-consciousness writing before, and I was always surprised by the connections and metaphors that would come out in the writing. I am considering reading the book and starting up the morning pages... I may wait until I'm not involved in other books, though. Thanks for the recommendation!

Flagcounter

free counters
Don’t worry, spiders,
I keep house
casually.

~Issa

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP