Thursday, January 17, 2008

The Silence of Stigma

I was having a conversation with David yesterday, and he mentioned that he had been reading about schizophrenia. He said, "I read that one percent of America's population has schizophrenia?"

"That's the statistic that I always hear," I replied.

"That sounds like a high number!" he exclaimed.

"Yeah, it's amazing that that many people have schizophrenia, and you never hear about it."

I explained that, in comparison, about one in six-hundred people have Crohn's disease. Yet when I tell people I have Crohn's disease, I'm always hearing that they know someone with the disease.

I continued, "It shows how little people talk about schizophrenia, because of the risk of stigma. If people were able to about it openly, everyone would realize that they know someone with the condition, and people would understand it better."

This evening David left to drive down to his girlfriend's house to celebrate her birthday. He will go straight back to college after that.

After he had left, I said to Mom, "It was nice having David home for winter break."

"Yeah, it was," she replied. "You must really miss him when he leaves. He's your peer, you have a lot to talk about and share."

"I do miss him when he goes."

I feel sad that he won't be around the house to laugh with and talk to. Still, I'm happy to see him return to his college life with all his friends, where he is building his future.

4 comments:

mosiacmind January 18, 2008 at 4:16 PM  

I am glad that you good times with David. I hope that you can stay in touch with email and perhaps email. I am glad that he and you can talk so easily with each other., Hope that you have a good day................Liz

Lena January 18, 2008 at 6:41 PM  

I was talking to someone the other day and I was mentioning how much I was learning alot about schizophrenia from the blogosphere and she shared that she has 2 siblings with schizophrenia. I never knew that. It was nice that she felt comfortable sharing with me.

I think I felt the same way about my son going back to school as you did about your brother.

I was just at my hairdresser's and she was telling me about her issues with Crohn's disease.

Take care Mike!
Lena

Moohaa January 18, 2008 at 10:15 PM  

I had no idea it was so common. I'm glad you enjoyed your time with David.

Have a good weekend!

Mike January 18, 2008 at 11:59 PM  

Liz,
I'll keep in touch with David over the phone, and hopefully he will come home to visit once in a while throughout the semester. The phone just isn't the same, though. I'll miss having him around the house.

Lena,
I think blogging is a great way for people to learn about mental illness. I’m happy you had a good discussion about schizophrenia with another person who was willing to share that with you

I thought of you when I was writing about my brother, because I knew your son was going back to college as well. The house just seems quieter now that he’s gone.

Kelly,
I was surprised at that percentage when I first heard it as well. I hope you have a good weekend too!

Flagcounter

free counters
Don’t worry, spiders,
I keep house
casually.

~Issa

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP