Friday, January 18, 2008

Trip to the Mental Health Center

Earlier today I was sitting in the waiting room of the mental health center. My psychiatrist came to get me, and brought me back to her office. We sat down, and she poured over my file with a serious demeanor, trying to determine the best treatment options for me. After discussing how I've been doing, we decided to stick with the Abilify and Wellbutrin, as they seem to be working well for me.

"Do you feel like your old self again?" she asked. "Or do you still feel different from before the episode?"

"I still feel kinda different."

"How so?" she inquired further.

"Hmmm..." I had to think about it. "I don't have the confidence that I used to... the confidence socially, and the confidence to get things done. I'm still not as active, and don't feel as motivated as before. I used to just go out and do things."

"That can be a symptom of the illness- not being as motivated." she replied. "Although you don't feel as motivated, you have still done some things, like take the GRE and submit a volunteer application. Hopefully you will build upon these things, and gain some momentum."

I like Dr. L. She takes her job seriously, and gives me the attention and time necessary to work out the best treatment plan. I can be honest with her, and I feel she respects me as an individual who is able to make his own decisions. She works with me, instead of simply dictating what medication I will take. I know this is not always the case with psychiatrists, and I value the relationship we have.

5 comments:

Moohaa January 19, 2008 at 5:10 PM  

I remember one time when I had to see a counselor, all the woman would say is ok, ok, ok, ok. Nothing helpful. I think in order for any wellness to be truly had it has to be a two way street much like a relationship.

I'm glad it went well. You'll continue to improve, you have the push and drive to do it!

Have a good weekend!

Anonymous January 20, 2008 at 7:35 AM  

Having a health professional who has a genuine interest in you as a person, as well as you as a patient, is invaluable to recovering health, I think. I'm so glad you found one, Mike!

mosiacmind January 20, 2008 at 1:55 PM  

I know how much better things are when one has a doctor who listens and is wise which is what it seems to me like your doctor is. I could not abilify or geodon...it is interesting how many medications can work for so many different mental coniditions. Hope that you have a good day.

Handsome B. Wonderful January 20, 2008 at 3:25 PM  

What a great working relationship. I have the same with my pdoc. He works with me on meds asking my opinion on treatment changes, etc.

It means a lot to me to know he trusts me.

I went through 11 psychiatrists before I found him. I tell everyone looking for pdocs to just keep looking if they don't find the right fit.

It was so frustrating to go through all those failures but I am so happy I stuck it out and moved on until I found one that I could work with. And one whom I felt knew what they were doing.

Mike January 21, 2008 at 12:20 AM  

Kelly,
I think there is a wide range of counselors, and the best ones form some sort of relationship with their patients.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Amy,
You’re right, beyond all their training and knowledge, they still have to remember to care for the people they treat.

Thanks, I’m glad I found her too!

Mosaicmind,
I appreciate having a doctor who is willing to listen to my opinions about my own treatment. I have heard that many of the same drugs are used for schizophrenia, bi-polar, and other conditions.

James,
I’m glad to hear you have a good relationship with your doctor as well. That must have been tough going through all those pdocs, but I’m sure it was worth it. It means so much to be respected by a doctor… especially since it is OUR body and mind. With some doctors it feels like they forget that.

Flagcounter

free counters
Don’t worry, spiders,
I keep house
casually.

~Issa

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP