Monday, January 21, 2008

A Foray into Self-Hypnosis

I've been reading the book on self-hypnosis I purchased, called The Secrets of Self-Hypnosis. The author, Adam Eason, discusses how to prepare for hypnosis, various methods of induction (creating a hypnotic state), and ways to write effective hypnotic suggestions.

In preparing for a hypnotic session, he recommends that you practice deep breathing, quiet your internal monologue, relax, and "engage in the moment." He draws upon Eastern traditions for these techniques, briefly discussing the method of breathing into the Hara (a region just below and behind the bellybutton), and outlining the benefits of what is known in Buddhism as mindfulness.

After explaining various ways of induction, he instructs the reader to practice entering a hypnotic trance state. This is the point I am at in the book. There is no need to deliver suggestions during these sessions; instead, at this stage, one is supposed to just experiment with the various ways of induction and develop a feel for the hypnotic state.

So I spent the time recording one of the given scripts that is supposed to induce hypnosis. After sitting and listening to it, I realized that I had read the script too quickly and unevenly to achieve the desired effect.

I recorded another, longer script, and read it softly and slowly.

With the new tape prepared, I lit a couple candles in my bedroom to provide a soft source of light, sat down in my comfortable chair, and closed my eyes. I focused on breathing slowly and being in the moment. Once I was physically relaxed, I turned on the tape and listened to my voice taking me through a beautiful garden while instructing me to relax further and further. It was a pleasant, calming experience. My body felt heavy and relaxed, and my internal monologue seemed to quiet down as I focused on my visualizations.

After mentally spending a while in this beautiful garden, the voice on the tape counted to five and I opened my eyes.

I don't know how deeply I was hypnotized, since this was my first time, and I have nothing to compare it to. However, I would say I was in some sort of trance state.

It was enjoyable, and I look forward to trying it again.

I am also becoming excited about the prospect of being able to make changes in my life. I am imagining being able to instruct my subconscious mind to grow in the ways I would like. It would be empowering. I don't want to get ahead of myself and get my hopes up too much, but I believe that positive expectations can only help the outcome of my experiences with hypnosis.

9 comments:

Moohaa January 22, 2008 at 4:59 PM  

That sounds seriously relaxing. Just being able to clear your mind and block out everything else will do some good!

Lena January 22, 2008 at 5:01 PM  

Wow, nice job with the session! Sounds wonderful.

Lena

Unknown January 22, 2008 at 5:59 PM  

You're doing great, but be careful. Hypnosis can be dangerous in unskilled hands. If you hove a psychologist or psychiatrist available to you please ask what to avoid.

Mike January 22, 2008 at 10:03 PM  

Kelly, you’re right, I’ll at least benefit from the deep relaxation itself.

Lena, thanks, it was quite enjoyable. It’s like taking a refreshing little vacation, all in my mind :)

Magus, thanks for commenting, and thanks for the concern. I’ve done a lot of reading on it, and the consensus seems to be that using self-hypnosis for things such as weight loss, smoking cessation, and building confidence, is completely safe. On the other hand, performing regressions back in time while trying to dig up certain memories or events, would be considerably dangerous to do on my own. So I definitely won’t be performing those risky techniques on myself- I’ll stick to the simple, safe suggestions.

Anonymous January 23, 2008 at 3:26 AM  

That sounds absolutely fascinating, Mike! I don't know why, but it never actually occurred to me that the technique involved recording yourself and then using that to induce a hypnotic state. It makes sense though! I might need to check this book out - maybe I could hypnotise myself into get this thesis finished!

Mike January 23, 2008 at 4:45 PM  

Amy, there are other techniques that don’t involve recording your own voice, but this is my preferred method at this time, because I feel it is easier to follow the voice instructions, instead of trying to remember everything on my own. They do say that hypnosis can be used to improve focus and concentration, so it just may help you finish your thesis :)

Handsome B. Wonderful January 23, 2008 at 11:49 PM  

Mindfulness is a precious key that unlocks many barriers and crumbles them down until all that is experienced is oneness, interbeing.

Good for you. I'm so happy for you that you felt such wonderful relaxation, peace and happines.

Yeyah!!

I've been back meditating now for 3 weeks. Meditation is such an important part of my survival plan. It's like an emotional massage. Or a massage of the brain.

Handsome B. Wonderful January 24, 2008 at 5:59 PM  

Mike:

Here's a link to my handy dandy bug catcher: It's called the Bug Buddy Catcher and it's only about $5. It's the one at the top of the page with the curved green handle. You'll love it for removing bugs humanely. :)

Mike January 24, 2008 at 7:24 PM  

James, I've read that mindfulness can crumble barriers like you said, but I can't seem to make the leap from being mindful to feeling oneness... not that I don't believe that mindfulness can lead to that, but I'm still a beginner and I've never experienced it.

Glad you're back meditating! It is like a massage for the mind.

Thanks for the link! I'll go check it out.

Flagcounter

free counters
Don’t worry, spiders,
I keep house
casually.

~Issa

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP