Friday, January 11, 2008

A Tasty Breakfast

This morning Roby, Mom, David and I went out to breakfast at Roby's favorite breakfast place. It is a small, cozy little restaurant that actually more resembles a coffee shop. On the walls hang paintings by different artists, some oil, some watercolor. The floors, tables and chairs are all wooden, and there is a big counter facing the entrance with a glass display of various delicious-looking baked goods. Behind the counter is an area where all the food is cooked. The owner, who appears to be late twenties/early thirties, cooks, rings up checks, buses tables, and even takes orders when it isn't too busy. I'm amazed at what she pulls off. At one point David dropped a fork, and she heard it fall from behind a corner and called over, "Need a new fork?"

"Yes, please," David replied.

"How did she know it was a fork? I wonder if she can tell by the sound?" I said.

"Maybe that's part of the training," David joked.

Roby and I both ordered the apple crisp French toast that comes with a side of cheesy scrambled eggs. The French toast is covered with cooked apples with granola sprinkled over them, topped with whipped cream and syrup. David and Mom had poached eggs laid on top of spinach, tomato, and English muffin, with potatoes on the side. The food was fabulous. I look forward to going there again.

9 comments:

Anonymous January 12, 2008 at 3:13 AM  

I was just about to go and make breakfast, Mike, but now, anything I make will pale in comparison to your description. Somehow cereal and toast just won't cut it now!

Mike January 12, 2008 at 4:44 PM  

Amy, I was back to cereal this morning. Eating out for breakfast is such a treat for me because I get to have food that I wouldn’t normally take the time to make at home.

Eric January 13, 2008 at 3:10 AM  

See, it is now 2:00 in the am and now I want a hearty breakfast, actually I want the one you had...lol

fsj January 13, 2008 at 3:29 AM  

OMG mike, u just make feel so hungry, hoho. u must have enjoyed ur meal i suppose :)

-p/s-
i think the sound of spoon and fork are different when they fall, let's try and drop them, then we'll know. :)

Mike January 13, 2008 at 3:37 PM  

Eric, I'll take a good breakfast any time of the day.

Khazi, I did enjoy the meal, it was delicious!

I tried dropping a spoon and a fork, and they do sound rather different. I've heard that there are people who can tell by the sound what kind of coin was dropped, and what metal it was made out of (over the years they have changed the material that they use to make different US coins.) Pretty amazing what a trained ear can distinguish.

Moohaa January 14, 2008 at 2:53 AM  

Oh, that breakfast sounds di-vine!!

The cook sounds amazing and I bet it made the breakfast experience that much better.

Glad to see you posting!

Mike January 14, 2008 at 2:57 PM  

Kelly Jene, the cook was amazing, and provided such personal service. It made for a great breakfast.

mosiacmind January 14, 2008 at 3:00 PM  

The breakfast sounds really really good. I like those small diner type places to eat. I hope that you have a good week.

Mike January 14, 2008 at 4:21 PM  

Mosaicmind, I like small personal restaurants too. They can really make you feel at home there. You have a good week too!

Flagcounter

free counters
Don’t worry, spiders,
I keep house
casually.

~Issa

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP