Thursday, December 6, 2007

At the Bank

This afternoon I was sitting in the lobby of my bank, waiting for Eric. I had some money saved up from the last job I worked before developing schizophrenia, and since my expenses are low because I live at home, I had a little extra to put into an IRA retirement account. I had to meet with Eric to decide how to allocate the money. Within a few minutes he arrived, and took me into his office.

Eric is probably in his mid-fifties, with graying hair and a professional demeanor. He needed to know my financial situation, to make sure I would not need to take any money out of the account. So naturally, he asked the question: "Where do you work?"

I do not disclose that I have schizophrenia to people I have just met, because I feel stigma is still common when it comes to mental illness. So instead of being explicit about why I'm not working, I said, "I've been between jobs for a while because of health problems."

"Is your health OK?" he asked, showing some concern.

"Yeah, I'm OK. It's getting better."

"Where was the last place you worked?"

"At the Journal of the American College of Cardiology, as an editorial assistant," I replied.

"Oh, you have a medical background?"

"No, I have an English degree, so it was more for the editorial work."

"Do you have any sources of income?"

"I am on disability, so I have some money coming in from that."

Satisfied that I would not be withdrawing money out of the retirement account, he left it at that. He did not pry, nor ask any further questions about my health. I noticed that my face was hot, and I realized I was probably blushing from nervous energy. Although this sort of conversation makes me uncomfortable, it was good for me to have practice discussing this type of thing.

He spent almost an hour talking to me about the different mutual funds I could put my money into, until I made a decision I was happy with. I appreciate him taking his time with me, considering the modest amount of money I was putting in.

I left feeling good about the appointment, but happy to have it behind me.

5 comments:

josie2shoes December 7, 2007 at 7:17 AM  

That would be such an uncomfortable situation, Mike. I know how difficult it is for my daughter when she goes for job interviews. Sounds like you handled it beautifully, with honesty but not sharing unnecessary details. I wish that all people could be better educated and more understanding about such issues so you wouldn't have to deal with the stigma. However, each time you negotiate a situation like this successfully, it makes the next time feel just a bit easier. I was really proud of you for getting the job done!

mosiacmind December 7, 2007 at 12:55 PM  

I need to start just saying health issues when people ask becaue I feel so funny getting into details if one asks about my mental illnesses. I then think at times it is my job to educate people so I need to get a balance in life I think. I am so happy for you that you have some money that you can save. I hope someday to be able to do that.

Andrew December 7, 2007 at 5:14 PM  

I get the "Where do you work?" all the time from friends and family that don't know me well. It always makes me uncomfortable and it used to make me feel worthless. I tell them I am a freelance writer now as that it the closest to the truth. You did well, Mike. I hope you are feeling well today and enjoy that winter wonderland.

Jonathon Andrew

Lena December 7, 2007 at 5:26 PM  

I work at a school for kids with learning and social emotional issues and it is hard for them when people ask them where they go to school.

They usually say a private school and hope that people will let it go at that.

People think they are asking innocent questions, and have no idea of the discomfort they cause. So much stigma all around.

Good for you for getting through it so well and realizing what good practice it is.

Moohaa December 7, 2007 at 8:14 PM  

Thats great that you had a trouble free experience. It must feel good to have something stashed away for the future. I need to do that. Have a good weekend!

Flagcounter

free counters
Don’t worry, spiders,
I keep house
casually.

~Issa

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP