Saturday, December 8, 2007

Getting in the Christmas Spirit

I awoke this morning to a knock on my bedroom door. It was Mom.

"Roby and I are going out to breakfast, and then we'll pick up a Christmas tree. You want to come?"

"Sure!" I replied. "I'll be up in a minute." I was pleasantly surprised that we were going to get a tree today.

Soon we were in the station wagon driving to a nearby town where there is a tree farm that lets you cut down your own tree. On the way we stopped at a small restaurant. To my delight, they had a breakfast buffet. I loaded up my plate with scrambled eggs, bacon, home-fries, and a small pancake with strawberries and real whipped cream. All that with a hot cup of coffee. It was delicious. After I was finished, I even went back for a piece of apple pie! I shouldn't have, but it was a small piece, and it was calling to me.

We left satisfied, and drove to the tree farm. It is a nice family run business, and the mother came over to tell us where to go for the trees. We grabbed a saw and a plastic sled and started stomping through the snow up a hill to a clearing where all the trees sat. Right away we found a full, round tree. We brushed off the snow to get a better look at it, and decided that we all liked it. After cutting it down, we plopped it onto the sled and pulled it down the hill.

Walking through the snow covered woods, smelling a freshly cut tree really put me in the Christmas spirit. I thought of my friend Andrew, who is also getting a tree today. He's really excited, and I hope everything goes well for him.

After tying down the tree, we went to a tent the owners had set up that had cookies and hot chocolate. We each had a cup and chatted with the workers.

We finished our hot chocolate and began our drive back home. The radio played Christmas songs the whole way.

Here is a picture of our tree on top of the station wagon. I'll take another picture when we get it up and all decorated.

5 comments:

josie2shoes December 8, 2007 at 3:28 PM  

This sounds like so much fun, Mike, I'm really glad you went along! It looks like a beautiful tree, will be eagerly waiting for pictures of it decorated!

Rhette December 8, 2007 at 3:42 PM  

Hi Mike!
Christmas in New England -- it doesn't get much better than that!
It sounds like you had a great time getting your tree :)

Hope you have pictures? I'm not sure who is more excited today you or Andrew LoL

Kirs~

Lena December 8, 2007 at 9:28 PM  

Great looking tree. Can't wait to see it all decorated. Nice that you all went together to cut it down.

Lena

Moohaa December 8, 2007 at 10:45 PM  

Beautiful tree! I can smell it from here. Obviously I am missing the smell with my fake tree. Take another picture when it's decorated!

Andrew December 9, 2007 at 4:54 PM  

Glad you got a tree, friend. I am so enjoying mine and the smell it imparts in my den is heavenly.

Flagcounter

free counters
Don’t worry, spiders,
I keep house
casually.

~Issa

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP