Monday, December 17, 2007

No, Not Yet...

There is a new study out, reported by schizophrenia.com, saying that people with schizophrenia are less likely to get cancer, despite the fact that many of them eat poorly and smoke. Heart disease- that's a whole different issue- we have plenty of that. Not so much cancer.

Turns out, there is a genetic link between cancer and schizophrenia. While in cancer these genes cause their cells to multiply out of control, in schizophrenia the same genes slow them down, seemingly preventing cancer. Interesting.

Anyway... yesterday one of my Aunts asked me if I was working, and I had to answer, "No, not yet." This came to mind today as I was trying to convince myself to call the library to ask about volunteer opportunities. I have been wanting to volunteer for a few months now, and I put it off and put it off... but now I am out of excuses. I need to find the motivation to do it. I almost feel guilty for not working or volunteering.

I have read some people say that working was an important part of their recovery from mental illness, that it gave them the purpose and discipline that they needed. Why would I think that it will be any different for me? I guess I just have bad associations with work because of previous jobs I have had, and I am cautious about how I would react mentally to all the stress and activity of a job.

This is why I consider it important to start volunteering first- so I can ease into it and develop a healthy mindset for working. If only I would pick up the phone and call...

4 comments:

Moohaa December 18, 2007 at 6:08 PM  

Would it help to give yourself something should you call? Something you want. Just tell yourself you can't have it til you call. I do that to myself a lot. I can't check my blogs til all the laundry is done.. which I hate.

Take care!

Oh and when will you learn the result of the GRE?

Mike December 18, 2007 at 6:58 PM  

Kelly Jene, thanks for the good idea. I'll see if that works for me.

I should get the complete results for the GRE in two or three weeks.

Lena December 18, 2007 at 7:17 PM  

Good luck making the call. I think you would be a wonderful volunteer, they would be so lucky to have you!

Lena

Harley December 19, 2007 at 10:14 AM  

I was a bit like you - I refused to pick up the phone and kept putting it off. Eventually (and very luckily) a job fell into my lap, and now I've been working three months and I LOVE it.

I'm not saying this'll happen to you (unfortunately!), I mean I consider myself extraordinarily lucky, I'm just saying I completely sympathise.

Good luck!!

xxx

Flagcounter

free counters
Don’t worry, spiders,
I keep house
casually.

~Issa

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP