Thursday, December 20, 2007

A Phone Call and a Candidate

Today I finally persuaded myself to call the library to inquire about volunteer positions. I used Kelly Jene's idea of rewarding myself if I called, and it worked!

So I talked to the volunteer coordinator, and she described the process to me. First, I need to stop by and fill out a form. Then, if they have any work that would fit me, I go in for an interview, and after that, they do a criminal check. They do not make it too easy to provide them with free labor. Oh well. I'm relieved that I actually set the process in motion.

This afternoon David was reading the paper, and said to me, "Did you know that Barack Obama is going to be in town tonight?"

"Oh yeah?" I replied. Since we live in New Hampshire, where the first in the nation primary is held, we constantly have presidential candidates coming through to drum up votes. It allows us to get plenty of exposure to the people running. I take my vote seriously because whoever wins New Hampshire and Iowa has a good chance of winning the party nomination.

"There is a number here to call to reserve seats. Do you want to go?" he asked.

I am registered as an independent, allowing me to vote on either a Democratic or Republican ballot, and I have not yet decided which ballot I will take or which candidate I will vote for. I thought it would be interesting to participate in the process by listening to a candidate speak, so I agreed to go.

It was held at a local hotel in a large room with space for about 500 people. First Obama gave a speech, then took questions from the audience. I have to say that I was impressed, but not blown away. It was a good opportunity to see a candidate in person, and I am glad I took it. I am still undecided, but now I want to go see other presidential hopefuls so I can make comparisons between them.

1 comments:

Lena December 20, 2007 at 5:06 PM  

What a wonderful opportunity to see a presidential candidate. You were so lucky!

I am so happy for you that you called the library! Good for you! I hope they find work for you soon!

Flagcounter

free counters
Don’t worry, spiders,
I keep house
casually.

~Issa

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP