Monday, December 31, 2007

Morning Therapy

I woke up to my alarm at 8:30 this morning, rolled out of bed and went downstairs to make some coffee. After eating breakfast, I drove through snow-covered roads to the mental health center. I checked in, waited for a few minutes, then my therapist Jeannine came and brought me back to her office.

We talked about what has been happening in my life.

"How is the librarian stuff going?" she asked.

"OK. I should start looking at schools soon. I'm still a bit ambivalent about it though. Looking ahead at the coming year, I think I may want to start working at some point, and I don't know if I'll need to go through an adjustment period before I start taking classes as well."

"That makes sense. Have you inquired about volunteering yet?"

"Yes! I finally called and talked to the volunteer coordinator."

"Good for you, Mike!"

"Thanks. I picked up a volunteer application and now I need to fill it out and return it."

"So this is still something that you want to do?"

"Yeah, I guess so. I'm not exactly looking forward to it intensely, but I think it will be good for me to get out and have more of a routine. Plus it will be a step toward getting back to work."

Later she asked, "How is the overeating going?"

"Ummm, not so good."

"Has it decreased at all?"

"No, not really."

"Do you have a sense of what is causing it?"

"I'm not sure. Sometimes it may be stress, but other times it just seems like a habit."

"I think that you need to come up with a plan," she said, "something that you do whenever you get cravings. Tell yourself that you will do it, say, three times. You may still end up overeating, but you will begin forming good habits as well. Also, some people find that if they get in a good routine, their overeating decreases. Perhaps volunteering will do that for you."

"I hope so." I replied. "I do feel like I have excess mental and physical energy that may make my cravings more intense. Being busier may improve things."

Soon time was up, and we scheduled an appointment for next month.

Now that I'm home, I need to clean the bathroom, because we are having relatives over for a New Year's Eve poker game.

I want to wish everyone a wonderful night, and a new year full of hope and promise.

7 comments:

mosiacmind December 31, 2007 at 3:58 PM  

HAPPY NEW YEARS EVE TO YOU MIKE AND I HOPE THAT YOUR NEW YEAR IS BLESSED WITH OEACE AND JOY AND BEING STABLE. I ALSO HOPE BLOGGER BUDDY TO GET TO KNOW EACH OTHER MORE IN 2008

Moohaa December 31, 2007 at 5:07 PM  

Happy New Year to you too, Mike and I really hope this is a year that brings you all the things you hope and desire.

Take care and have fun tonight!

Lena December 31, 2007 at 6:26 PM  

Happy New Year to you Mike. I think that you have so much to offer and I also hope that this new year brings you many blessings and wonderful opportunities.

I have been wondering and meaning to ask you how you are liking the OverEaters journal that you mentioned a few posts back?

Have a fun tonight!
Lena

Eric January 1, 2008 at 2:44 AM  

Happy New Year May this year be one filled with joy, fulfillment and peace.

Dave January 1, 2008 at 4:37 AM  

I just want to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to offer your condolences and giving me the encouragement that I needed at this time. I hope you have a Happy New Year! :-)

Handsome B. Wonderful January 5, 2008 at 6:34 PM  

And a happy, happy new year to you as well.

I don't have any motivation to do much of anything. Let alone leave the house much. I'm terrified of people and I hear the voices and see things most when I walk around outside on my own. :/

I hope someday to be able to get out more.

Mike January 6, 2008 at 2:31 PM  

James, I'm sorry you deal with so much when you go out... I hope you find mental peace and a respite from the voices and terror.

Flagcounter

free counters
Don’t worry, spiders,
I keep house
casually.

~Issa

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP