Sunday, December 16, 2007

A Party With the Family

David finished his last final exam yesterday and was supposed to drive home from college last night to avoid the huge snowstorm that was to start early this morning. However, he fell asleep at his girlfriend's place and did not wake up until four AM, and by the time he hit the road, the storm was in full force. Fortunately he navigated the storm safely, and jumped into bed as soon as he arrived at seven AM.

I first saw him a little before noon, when he got out of bed. I noticed how groggy he looked. "A little tired?" I asked.

"Man, I'm exhausted."

"How was the ride?"

"I could only see fifty feet in front of me, and the median line was completely covered with snow. I had to go at forty miles an hour the whole way. At least there wasn't much traffic at that time of day."

"Well, I'm glad you made it OK!" I said.

"Ha, me too! It was a long drive. So... is the Christmas party starting soon?"

"Yeah, people should be arriving in a half hour."

David jumped in the shower, and pretty soon my relatives started trickling in.

The party turned out well. I did not suffer from much anxiety, which was nice. A few weeks ago I was starting to dread the holiday season, because of all the socializing and family parties I could see on the horizon. But now that I've made it through Thanksgiving and the wedding, and the first Christmas party, I'm starting to feel more confident. It does help to have David around, because we stayed by each other for much of the party, and he is easy to converse with. I am glad he is home for winter break.

3 comments:

Lena December 17, 2007 at 7:35 AM  

Glad he made it home safely!

Good for you that you are getting more confident with the social piece.

It is great you and your brother have one another to get through the family events. My sons also stick together like that.

Have a good day!
Lena

mosiacmind December 17, 2007 at 5:34 PM  

Good that your brother got home with all of the bad weather. I am glad too that the party was alright for you.

mosiacmind December 17, 2007 at 5:34 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.

Flagcounter

free counters
Don’t worry, spiders,
I keep house
casually.

~Issa

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP