Friday, December 21, 2007

Remicade and a Brightened Day

I arrived at the hospital this morning at nine o'clock, as scheduled. I entered Admissions, and told them I was there for a Remicade infusion. Remicade is a medication designed for Crohn's disease; it is administered every eight weeks to maintain remission. My gastroenterologist convinced me to get on it when we realized that I needed more aggressive treatment for my Crohn's.

This was last spring- I was feeling fine, when suddenly one night I started experiencing abdominal pain. My Mom was out to dinner with Roby, and when they returned home, I was lying on the couch clutching my side. I thought it might be my appendix, so I went to the emergency room. After doing some imaging tests, the radiologist and surgeon determined that my intestine had perforated, requiring emergency abdominal surgery. After the surgery, my doctor started me on the Remicade. I've been in remission since being on the medicine.

So this morning, after checking in with Admissions, one of the nurses brought me upstairs to a hospital room. Basically, I sit there on a hospital bed while the Remicade drips through an IV into my body. They feed me lunch, and take my vital signs periodically.

My nurse today was about my age, with brown hair and a contagious smile. She was warm and friendly, and really brightened my day. Everything went smoothly, and I was out by early afternoon.

After I returned home, I could not help but think about the nurse... I guess in the short time at the hospital I developed a bit of a crush. It was nice to feel romantically towards someone... even if it was just a fleeting dream.

3 comments:

Eric December 21, 2007 at 1:36 AM  

Sometimes those fleeting dreams are the best medicine to have a good day.

josie2shoes December 22, 2007 at 1:54 PM  

I'm so glad that the Remicade is working for you, and delighted that you had the pleasure of good company during the process. I am smiling because I know that you were! :-)

Moohaa December 22, 2007 at 11:50 PM  

I'm so glad you have something to help you through Crohn's. And hey, having someone to help you and take care of you is an attractive thing to begin with, so if they are attractive in other ways too, makes a sweet trip to the hospital. Hope you are feeling well...

Flagcounter

free counters
Don’t worry, spiders,
I keep house
casually.

~Issa

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP