Sunday, December 2, 2007

A Day of Reflection

I woke this morning to an empty house. I thumped down the stairs and put some water on the stove for my coffee. When the kettle started whistling I picked it up and poured it over the coffee grounds I had scooped into my French press. As I waited for the coffee to steep, I rolled a cigarette and thought about how quiet it is here now that everyone is gone. My brothers left yesterday, and my mother is off on her honeymoon with Roby. I suppose I grew accustomed to the companionship of my brothers; now I found myself in the social vacuum created when they all returned to their busy lives.

Despite experiencing some loneliness, I felt pleased with how everything went. In fact, I had surprised myself: I anticipated becoming run down and mentally weary with all the activity and socializing, but I feel I handled it rather well.

I ate breakfast, drank my coffee, and went out to smoke my cigarette. I thought of Fay, who sat next to me at the wedding. She knew my father from a kidney support group, where my father had gone when he was on dialysis. When she was leaving the wedding, she said to me, "Your father was a great guy. Very calm and content." Her words struck a chord within me, and I thought of my father's own words, "The most important thing in life is to be content." It amazed me that Fay described my father the same way he would have described himself. Despite his protracted illness, I never heard him once complain. He accepted what life gave him with a positive attitude.

Back in the house, I watered the flower arrangement that we had given to my mother. I'm trying to keep it alive until they return from their honeymoon. Some of the flowers are already starting to die, but I believe some of them will survive. I'll just weed out the wilted ones so only the live ones remain.

As the day continued I found myself dealing with bouts of nostalgia, triggered by a song on the radio, or a movie on TV. Apparently the wedding stirred up my feelings, making me more emotionally sensitive.

I'm going to try to get to bed earlier tonight so I can rise at a reasonable hour.

I hope to wake up to a world covered in snow.

4 comments:

josie2shoes December 3, 2007 at 10:37 AM  

The older I get, the more contentment - being at peace with myself and my life - becomes my primary goal. Too many people mistake contentment with having more or doing it all. For me, it's about simplicity. Learning to accept life as it comes and to live in harmony with other people as much as possible. It is not what happens to us, it's what we do with it that counts.

Andrew December 3, 2007 at 4:06 PM  

I read this post after a tough day. I am questioning everything. My schizophrenia. My life. My purpose. I realize I really want to be content and at peace with myself. Thanks, Mike. Thanks for giving me a glimmer of hope that today will turn out okay! Oh, and for the snow, I am thinking of you. Send some South when you get tired of it! :-P

Moohaa December 4, 2007 at 8:53 PM  

You truly have a way with words. Wonderfully written... I felt I was there with you, enjoying a cup of coffee, watering flowers.

Silence can be good .. don't let it overwhelm you.

CRUSTY MOM-E December 4, 2007 at 9:38 PM  

just perfectly said.
Always,
Crusty~

Flagcounter

free counters
Don’t worry, spiders,
I keep house
casually.

~Issa

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP